Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Jealousy

Jealousy and cancer are much similar in terms of characteristics: both are destructive and, without our conscious knowledge, rapidly spread within our body and mind alike.

The fact that I don't easily get jealous doesn't dampen the effect of jealousy on my mind and behaviour. As the first paragraph has already implied, it's cancerous. I find myself constantly thinking about the person, feeling inferior towards them, and being alert most of the time due to my competitive nature. It is a vicious cycle that is arduous to escape once entered. And it all starts from a little bit of inferiority.

While I am perfectly aware that the cause of my jealousy towards some people is rather irrational, the emotion is hardly be avoided most of the time. When faced with the situation, a mere human such I am couldn't fight off the feeling and just surrender to my knees: fully accepting my irrational thinking and keeping my distance from the possible triggering events. That is to say, the person I'm jealous of.

And I believe that is the only way to escape the vicious cycle of jealousy: to accept our imperfection and fully embrace it, admit that person is superior in some areas that we're not, and identify our strengths in other areas. Accepting that we are "inferior" to the person we're jealous of doesn't lower our value as humans, as we humans are all significant in our own way. It's difficult to accept indeed, therefore in the meantime,  we need to distance ourselves from the triggering events until we are much prepared.

Good luck, soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment