Pages

Friday, September 9, 2022

The death of the Queen Elizabeth II

I had this post written very early in the morning (it was 1 a.m.), deeply saddened, after figuring out that the former British monarch had died.

You may think it's exaggerated of me to feel such a deep emotion towards someone who was practically a stranger to me. She didn't even know I existed! And I didn't even know what kind of person she was in real life. The news, documentaries, and articles on the internet gave me an idea of her personality, character, and life, which weren't quite reliable sources to get to know a person.

I felt so silly, but I couldn't help it. The news kinda devastated me.

For some context, I've been a huge fan of the British monarchy ever since a very young age. My mum used to be a fan of Princess Diana, so she somehow introduced me to the matter. I remember making an essay about Princess Diana in my 4th (or 5th?) grade with her help. Also, for that essay, I was required to read many articles related to the British monarchy and ended up loving every bit about the United Kingdom afterwards.

There's a reason why I used to name this blog the United Kingdom of My World you know (which sounds silly now almost 12 years later). It's an obsession, I would say, with the United Kingdom and its monarch. Also about its culture, history, and even with their accent.

My respect for the late Queen has been growing in recent years after watching Netflix's The Crown. The series made me do the fact-checking from the articles and documentaries on the internet. As a result, I found myself admiring the Queen even more. She was the symbol of duty, dedication, and loyalty who possessed a witty kind of humour, which I found very charming. 

The fact that during her long remarkable year, she led the greatest nation in the world throughout the darkest moments such as World War II and the Covid-19 pandemic; drove a jeep in her 90s; trained as mechanics during the world war; she was indeed the definition of a strong woman leader (and quite a cool grandma too). Truly inspirational for every woman around the world including myself.

I'm fully aware that the Queen actively participated in modern colonialism (and many had died under her name to this day). It's a fact that we shouldn't sweep it under the rug. However, we couldn't ignore that with the passing of the Queen, the world is going to be affected greatly. People basically are uncomfortable with big changes, so I can understand why it's such a shock for some people. Especially the people of the United Kingdom.

It is the end of an era indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment